What is AMP Ads
AMP (Accelerated Mobile Page) ads or AMPHTML ads are fast-loading, engaging ads that usually include interactive elements like animations or carousels. Publishers usually prefer them over traditional HTML ads because of their ability to enhance user experience and, ultimately, increase engagement.
AMPHTML ads are designed to run on AMP pages. Accelerated Mobile Page is an open-source project that Google created to improve web page performance on mobile devices. These pages are designed to load faster and provide a better user experience for mobile users.
Implementing these ads can significantly improve web page performance since the media load time for these ads is a few milliseconds.
AMP Ads workflow
AMPHTML ads have a simple workflow which is as follows:
- Publishers add an ad slot to an AMP webpage with the tag 'amp-ad'. This tag informs the ad networks or Supply-Side Platforms (SSP) or ad exchanges that the publisher wants to serve an ad.
- The AMP runtime requests the demand sources (DSPs, ad networks, etc) to ready the ad.
- The ad network validates and signs the ad creatives.
- The ad network passes, or SSP, passes the AMP ad to the AMP runtime.
- The ad is served on the respective ad slot assigned by the publisher.
Types of AMP Ads
AMP ads are usually of 3 types. They are as follows:
- Carousel AMP Ad:These ads have more than one image and appear as a carousel. Users can swipe on the ad to view it fully.
- Video Parallax AMP Ad:A video plays on top of a banner image in this ad format. It creates a parallax effect hence the name “Video Parallax Ad”.
- Lightbox AMP Ad:These ads are expandable when a user interacts with them. They are highly interactive and are likely to keep users engaged for longer
Benefits of AMP ads
There are many advantages while using AMP ads. They are:
- Quicker load time: AMP ads load up to 5 times faster than non-AMP ads. These ads will likely load faster if placed on AMP pages.
- Lighter ads: These ads are thrice as light as regular ads, consuming fewer browser resources. This proves to be useful for mobile SEO.
- Prioritizes safety: AMP algorithm validates each ad creative before displaying it on the ad slot. So AMPHTML ads are ad fraud-safe.
- Higher revenue: Since these ads are engaging and highly user-friendly, they are likely to generate more views and Click-Through Rates (CTRs)
How to get started with AMP ads
Getting started with AMPHTML ads is a straightforward process and can be done with the following steps:
- Find a partner who can support AMPHTML ads on their page.
- Finding the right demand for AMP inventory comes next. Many SSPs, ad servers, and ad exchanges like Google Ad Manager widely opt for.
- Implement the AMO ads next. Since these ads can be served on AMP and non-AMP pages, they offer higher viewability and CTR. Publishers who use Google AdSense can use AMP on their pages through auto ads by creating a display ad unit. Publishers using Google Ad Manager can generate ad tags within GAM without manual coding by adding the <amp-ad> tag to their AMP pages.
- Publishers need to validate the AMPHTML ads syntax next through third parties or use the AMP validating for one-off testing.