Grow Monetize Optimize
12 Best App Marketing Strategies To Drive Growth
Updated on November 22, 2022
There is no doubt that fierce competition exists between apps to become users' choice. As more apps have launched in the market and the number of app users has risen exponentially, app owners need to devise a way to stand out from the crowd. As a solution, numerous app marketing services have even been instigating multiple app marketing strategies that guarantee app growth. This blog post lists and explains 12 such app marketing strategies.
Top 12 app marketing strategies
Let's discuss the following app marketing strategies in detail.
- App Store Optimization (ASO)
- Apple Search Ads
- Google app campaign
- Social media ads
- Featured apps
- Word of mouth
- Referral marketing
- SEO-optimized website
- Public Relations (PR)
- Influencer marketing
- Quora answers
- In-store advertising
App Store Optimization (ASO)
ASO is an app marketing strategy that refers to the steps you take to increase your app's visibility in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. This app marketing strategy is an organic approach to promoting an app by improving different aspects of your app's presence on the app stores so that its ranking and visibility improve.
What impacts ASO ranking
Below are a few things you may have to look into to up your ASO game, thus enhancing your app marketing strategies.
Keywords are the search terms people use to look for your app in the app stores. By aiming at the right keywords, you can rank your app in the top five listings, improving its visibility. After you have identified the keywords, include them in the on-page metadata. For iOS apps, keywords must be added to the app title, subtitle, and keyword list (up to 100 characters). In the case of Android apps, you must insert the keywords in the app name, long description, and short description.
Below are a few pro tips for using keywords:
- Use only keywords that are relevant to your app.
- Only use the singular or plural form of a keyword; never both.
- Avoid using the word 'app' or competitor app names.
Your app's name is a key factor in impacting people's understanding of your app. Choose a name that defines your app instead of just going for something fancy or catchy. The Google Play Store and Apple App Store allow up to 30 characters in the app name/app title. Additionally, you can add a subtitle in the App Store of maximum 30 characters. The Google Play Store allows up to 50 characters, whereas the App Store allows up to 30 characters in an app name. Utilize the character length to the fullest to describe your app. Here are examples of some ASO-optimized app names: Spotify - Music and Podcasts, Google Maps - Transit & Food, Weather Live - Local Forecast.
It is essential to keep the description user-focussed. Write a crisp and compelling narrative describing your app's usage and benefits, encouraging the user to download it immediately. As touched on earlier, include relevant keywords; but avoid keyword stuffing. And the most crucial thing to do is to keep the description up-to-date with app updates and release notes so that the user learns about the current version of your app.
The Play Store lets you enter a Long Description and a Short Description. The Long Description can be of up to 4000 characters whereas the short description can be up to 80 characters in length. On the other hand, the App Store supports only Long Description of up to 4000 characters and no special characters allowed.
The visual elements of your app listing are the app icon, screenshots, and videos. Let's talk about each element one by one.
- The app icon is an essential branding element and the first thing users notice. Moreover, the icon is shown on different app pages – app listing, category page, editor's choice, etc. Therefore, you need to design one that is simple, relevant, and easy to comprehend what the app is about.
- Screenshots give users a sneak peek into your app and influence their decision to install the app to a certain extent. Make sure that the screenshots you include are striking and represent the features or functionalities of your app well.
- You can even include your app's preview video and screenshots. The video must be short yet descriptive enough to convey the app's features and benefits.
Reviews and ratings
Bad ratings impact the ASO ranking of your app. Moreover, since they appear in the app listings, they affect the users' decision to download your app or not. Positive app reviews and ratings can always work in your favor; it's a given. So make an effort to collect positive reviews from your existing users, especially for the latest version of your app. Reviews work like word of mouth for potential users
One more thing you can do is localize the screenshots and other preview content according to the geo-locations. This helps you capture local audiences and connect with them much better.
ASO ranking is determined by several UX factors like crashes, session lengths, deletions, retention, etc. All these aspects indicate whether the app offers a positive experience to the users. If not, users might uninstall the app or leave negative reviews, which in turn, impacts the ASO ranking negatively.
This field is specific to the App Store. You can add text about upcoming updates and events to your app. Promotional text can be up to 170 characters in length and can be updated as many times you want. However, it does not impact the ranking. You can rather use it to promote app features.
Benefits of implementing ASO
- Less acquisition cost. Since you will focus on organic growth, you are saving the money you spend on paid ads to acquire users.
- Organic user acquisition. As ASO helps you match your app to the keywords people are searching with, it enables you to place your app in front of the right users and get them to install it organically. Such users will perhaps stick with your app for a long time.
- Increased visibility. The main objective of implementing ASO is to make your app discoverable. Doing it the right way will increase your app's ranking on the app store searches and thus, its visibility.
- Increased app revenue. More app users mean more contribution to your monetization strategies, such as in-app purchases, in-app ads, etc.
Apple Search Ads
Apple Search Ads (ASA) is an app marketing strategy specific to iOS apps. It lets app owners bid on keywords that people are searching for. The winning bidder's app appears at the top of the search results whenever a user searches for the keyword. Especially in a scenario of fierce competition among apps, Search Ads are a convenient way for mobile app promotion.
Apple Search Ads offers two different plans: ASA Basic and ASA Advanced. The tools, controls, and budgets you get with ASA depend on your chosen plan. Therefore, choose wisely to boost your app marketing strategy.
Google app campaigns
Formerly called Universal app campaign or UAC, Google app campaigns is a tool where you can run promotional campaigns across Google-owned platforms, including Google Search, YouTube, Google Play, etc. You can run campaigns for app install marketing, engagement, and pre-registration using App campaigns. The tool also includes conversion tracking to know your cost-per-install, cost-per-action, or cost-per-pre-registration, and other essential ad campaign performance metrics that form a core part of your app marketing strategy. Learn more about Google app campaigns.
Social media ads
With the popularity of social media channels rising by the day, they have become an effective app marketing strategy for many app businesses. Mobile app promotions can be done in two ways on social media: Organic and Paid. In the organic method, you must create a social media presence and start following your targeted users. Engage them with relevant, regular, and well-structured content, thus, promoting your app. On the other hand, the paid method of mobile app promotion involves app install promotions, where advertisements are targeted towards your audience with the objective of getting app installs. This is also a useful app marketing strategy that is bound to drive results.
Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram support app install marketing where viewers are redirected to your App Store or Play Store listing whenever they click the ad's CTA. Although not all apps can benefit from social media ads, you can research and identify the requirements of your app and promote it accordingly.
The Featured sections in the App Store and Google Play Store are where the app stores recommend your apps to the users. However, getting featured in this section is not a piece of cake. Some critical criteria must be met to feature on the app stores, which is why it is a lesser known app marketing strategy.
For instance, some criteria common are, an app must:
- Offer a flawless UI and UX.
- Be localized according to geographical location, culture, etc.
- Must show outstanding performance.
Word of mouth
The simplest way to promote your app is keeping your friends and family circle in the know. Here’s how word of mouth functions as an app marketing strategy – find people who are likely to be interested in your app's offerings. For instance, if five of your friends install your app, they may tell five other people, who may tell five other people, and so on. This creates a spiraling word of mouth, promoting your app to a considerable amount of audience for free.
Why word of mouth works
Trust is the key factor behind the success of this app marketing strategy. According to a report, 88% of people said that word of mouth from the people they know influences their buying decisions. When people hear positive feedback about a product or service from friends or family, they are more likely to buy it. Such recommendations are highly workable in a world where information about anything is easily accessible. If you still wonder if word of mouth can bring results, think about the times you read through product reviews and checked the ratings before installing an app.
It is safe to call referral marketing a type of word of mouth, but it involves more proactive methods of mobile app promotion. In word of mouth, the responsibility of promoting your app lies with your existing customers, whereas in referral marketing, you encourage people to use your app by incentivizing them, which puts you in control. In most referral programs, both existing and potential customers are rewarded, making it a win-win for both parties, as well as a helpful app marketing strategy for your app business.
A good example of an indirect app marketing strategy is an SEO-optimized website. There are three main reasons why you should have an optimized website for your app:
- Organic reach. Optimizing your website for search engines improves your ranking on the search results, thereby improving the organic traffic to your website. More traffic means a greater audience to market to.
- Exposure. When users look for something on the web, your website can appear as a search result, reeling in your app as a solution. Intent-based searches on the web cause your app to be discovered by many users.
- Legitimacy. Having a website is an indicator that your app is legitimate. It must be featured on your website with adequate information to convince the users that it is a real solution.
How to SEO-optimize your website
Below are ways you can optimize your website to boost mobile app promotion.
- Collect user data and create user behavior reports to understand a user's engagement with your website – session time, bounce rate, etc. Analyze the data to identify the pages that perform better than the others and make improvements across your site.
- Perform thorough keyword research and identify intent-based long-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords help you understand what the users may be looking for and create pages accordingly.
- Content marketing goes a long way in optimizing your website and creating a vast reach. Write long-form content as it ranks higher than short-form.
- Focus on on-page and off-page SEO. On-page SEO involves optimization of the headings, subheadings, URLs, and metadata, whereas off-page SEO comprises practices like backlinking, guest blogging, social posting, influence marketing, etc.
- Work on optimizing your website for mobile devices, which means you must make it mobile-friendly in terms of design, responsiveness, speed, etc.
- Improve page speed as it is a huge factor impacting the user experience.
Public Relations (PR)
A Public Relations or PR campaign aims to build or enhance the branding of a business. PR campaigns can help achieve a massive outreach among potential customers, competitors, and investors. Read on to learn more about implementing PR as an app marketing strategy.
What are the ways to run a PR campaign?
- You can do a press release to announce the launch of your new app.
- Inviting media and influencers to a launch party is a good way to promote your app.
- Get featured in newspapers and relevant blogs by interviewing with them.
- Do guest posts on relevant blogging sites to gain visibility.
Benefits of PR
Below are a few benefits of employing PR campaigns as an app marketing strategy for your mobile app promotion.
- Create mass awareness. PR campaigns are highly effective for pre-launch promotions. You can place your app in front of prospective customers and gain considerable visibility through PR. In addition, PR mentions aid in improving your Google ranking.
- Increase outreach to investors. PR campaigns can help you reach more investors and generate more funding for your app business if carefully designed and implemented.
We're all familiar with the so-called 'influencers' on social media, aren't we? They are people with a huge following and engagement on their social media pages. Find the best influencers in your industry so that they market your app to your target audience. There are platforms where you can sign up to find industry-specific influencers. Another way is to reach out to influencer marketing agencies, where you can specify your requirements and find the ideal influencer to do your mobile app promotion. If you succeed in finding the right influencer with the right audience, influencer marketing can prove to be a great app marketing strategy for you!
Popular influencer marketing platforms in India
Below are some platforms that can expose you to famous influencers.
Other influencer marketing solutions
Below are a few worldwide platforms and similar services for influencer marketing.
- Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn searches
Answering questions on Quora is an app marketing strategy that is often underrated but has a lot of benefits. With over 300 million users on Quora as of 2022, you can get good exposure for your app by being active on the platform. Here are some tips for using Quora:
- Assign a reputable person, such as the CEO or Product Manager to answer questions.
- Identify highly relevant topics to your app and answer questions on them.
- Answer popular questions with few answers, as this increases the chances of getting exposure.
- Focus on the structure of your answers so that they address the topic in a readable format.
- If you already have the content on your website or blog, repurpose it to answer the questions.
This technique may not work for all app categories. For instance, if yours is a retail app with physical stores, you can use the traditional advertising method – through pamphlets and banners. For this app marketing strategy to work, you can even offer special discounts and benefits to users who download the app, which makes it a win-win!
So these are some most sought-after ways of promoting an app. If you wish to explore more app marketing strategies, a good option is to get on board an app promotion platform or user acquisition platform where you have to specify the details of the campaign, such as its goals, budget, and targeting, and the rest is taken care of by the platform itself.
If you're looking for a sustainable app growth solution, we're here to help with app marketing strategies personalized to your app requirements.
Unlock new ways to grow.
Stay connected to stay updated.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive regular updates.